Sunday, March 15, 2009

Walkabout


Not exactly a hike, but just getting out for a walk around the neighborhood with Levi feels good, like I'm doing something right to get him outside. Just throw him in the carrier and go. He seems to like it as no matter how cold it is he is quiet and just soaks everything around him up the entire time. Ehow.com has this list for the question "How to Get Kids Outside?"...

Step1
Set up a swing set or play equipment for younger children.

Step2
Put up a basketball goal, volleyball net or skate ramp for older children. Kids will be more likely to go outside if they can engage in an activity they enjoy.

Step3
Take family bicycle rides or walks together. Encourage outdoor activities by setting a good example.

Step4
Plan a scavenger hunt for your children and their friends. Send them around the neighborhood looking for various outdoor things.

Step5
Sign your kids up for a camp where they can explore the outdoors and participate in outside activities. This introduction may foster an appreciation for being outside.

Step6
Limit the amount of time they are allowed to spend watching television or playing video games. Without these distractions, they will want to get outside to play.
I've decided to simplify it for people like me with short attention spans. Here's my list...

Step1. Turn off the TV and go outside.
That's it. Not, send the kids outside, go outside yourself. I'm going to be making a conscious effort to habitually be outside. Working in the yard, playing walking anything, just being a family that gets out of the house and having children outside from an early age will make a world of difference 5, 10, and 20 years from now.



3 comments:

David March 16, 2009 at 10:49 AM  

I like your list better. about 6 years ago, my daughters (16 yrs & 11 yrs) and I began just sitting outside if all else fails. We sit on the deck, or we sit on the driveway, and just talk or listen or stay quiet. We have been known to spend a couple of hours in the late afternoons and evenings just sitting there talking and enjoying each others company.

In my opinion, the time spent together outside is far more conducive to family bonding than the time indoors.

I am really enjoying the blog! Keep up the good work.

Danny March 16, 2009 at 11:24 PM  

Thank you! I'm glad you're liking it. I definitely agree with spending time with family. I consider myself lucky that there wasn't a TV in my family until I was 12, that led to a habit of spending time outdoors, or just talking, playing games, etc. It made a huge difference that I think to many families miss out on now.

Best wishes for you and your family.

Steve Bohrer March 20, 2009 at 7:50 AM  

Those how to lists always crack me up. It's like they think that if they put down something simple (like you did) no one would pay attention. You're exactly right, telling the kid to go play on that thousand dollar swingset while I watch TV is going to be much less effective than turning off the TV and taking your kids outside.