Saturday, April 11, 2009

It Takes a Village

While I think the saying "It takes a village" is off base family-wise, at least as a blanket statement used in a semi-recent book. It is a great metaphor in instances like like this. I believe that it takes parents to raise a child, but community has a lesser but important role in shaping a child's sense of social awareness. This is a great little story and one similar to what I hope to be writing as Levi gets older.

Found on The Cleanest Line

During spring break last week, my son, Owen, and I joined up with five different families and friends in Hueco Tanks, Texas to enjoy a week of bouldering, camping and a refreshing dose of community-style living. I am a big believer in the saying, "It takes a village to raise a child." I grew up in a large family (seven kids) and we lived in a neighborhood full of kids of all ages. Since our street formed the last cul-de-sac in a suburban neighborhood of Southern California...

Read the rest of the story here.

0 comments: