Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Last Child in the Woods

Its obviously been quite a while since I've posted anything here.  Every parent knows, that sometimes life doesn't allow time for anything other than whats absolutely needed.  Work, family, sick babies and everything else really add up.

On a bright note, I've finally gotten the chance to sit down and start reading "Last Child in the Woods" by Richard Louv.  It's an enlightening look at the deterioration of our connection to nature, and how we're raising a generation of children that are disconnected from the natural world.  In a time where we're constantly told to get our children to excersize to fight childhood obesity, to get them outside, we're still missing something.  Gone are the empty lots we played in as children, the woods behind the house, and the natural spaces where children should be able play freely.  Louv does a great job of connecting unstructured outdoor play in natural settings with child development, and their adult connection for the natural world.

 The book definitely has me thinking and re-evaluating the importance of Levi playing outside.  Luckily for me, the outdoors are already a magnet for him.  Any open door is quickly used to get himself outside, and he makes it crystal-clear that he does NOT want to go back inside!  He's 17 months old now, and we're really going to make sure than he's outside as much as possible, as if we have a choice in the matter!

I will be posting some more thoughts inspired by the book, and also, as Levi gets older I hope to have even more to post.  For now, I'm working on a goal of mine that will allow me to spend that time with my family, doing the things we enjoy.  My focus will be away from this site for a while, but hopefully not for long.  In the meantime, make sure to check out the links on the left, and stay outside.

1 comments:

skoshi March 10, 2010 at 6:12 AM  

Hi-I was looking up 180 degrees South and found your blog. Liked it. Wanted to let you know that I stopped by.
I've always remembered a comment make by a grade school friend who said to me, "I like coming to your house because we always play outdoors." Raised without tv, and almost no toys except for (old style) legos and paper/pen. I'm not saying asceticism is the way to go, I'm just saying' :)
Have a great day.